Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wheelin' and Dealin'

I recently began clipping coupons from the newspaper. I had never done so before in my adult life, for several reasons. Many years ago, my husband and I had subscribed to the newspaper and it created a lot of paper clutter in our house. (My husband constantly tells me there isn't a piece of paper around that I don't love. I seem to have a slight problem with paper hoarding. Piles are always accumulating on various flat surfaces around our home.) We couldn't stand it, so we canceled the subscription. Additionally, I had always imagined that scanning the paper for coupons would be way too time consuming. Plus, seeing as I am organizationally challenged when it comes to paper, I figured I could never put any coupons I had clipped into any sort of accessible system for use when I would go shopping.

However, after hearing from two of my girlfriends about how crazy I was by missing out on all sorts of money-saving opportunities by using coupons, I decided to resubscribe to the newspaper and join the ranks of the Coupon Clippers.

If I was crazy before I began clipping coupons, I've certainly inched up the lunacy scale since I've been clipping crazed. Now, I can hardly wait for the Sunday paper every week. And once Sunday arrives, I'm the first one out of bed and running out the door to fetch the newspaper from our driveway. (My husband and I have been talking about getting a dog recently, but he says with my fetching skills and enthusiasm for the task - who needs one?!) Once I'm back inside, I sit down and clip away, Edward Scissorhands-style.

I think I've saved a fairly decent amount of money over the past two months through using coupons. But now that I'm on board with coupons, I'm looking for something more - perhaps internet sites advertising money-saving deals, etc. I've looked into a few, but I haven't really found any that advertise too many things that I actually use. Perhaps that's a common problem.

With the economy in its current state, everyone is looking to save money these days. So, my question is, what do you do to save money on your purchases? Coupons? Internet sites? If so, which ones?

No comments:

Post a Comment