Thursday, March 11, 2010

I am now a "Pink Warrior"

Sorry, about not posting the last couple of weeks. I had a case of cabin fever that had me down in the dumps and I didn't want to take any readers along with me so I took a break. This week Chicago temps hit 40 degrees for the first time in awhile and the sun melted not all but a good amount of the snow, so I think I am on my way to recovery.

The other event that got me out of my funk was attending the AVON Walk for Breast Cancer Expo in Chicago this past weekend and registering to become a participant. I am excited and proud to have made this commitment for family and friends as well as other women. I am looking forward to the journey.

According to the American Cancer Society (2009):
1. A woman living in the U.S. has a 1 in 8 chance of developing breast cancer in her life time.
2. A new case of breast cancer is diagnosed every3 minutes.
3. Breast cancer kills nearly 41,000 people a year (1 every 13 min)
4. Progress has been made in diagnosis and treatment, but, no one knows the cause, or how it can be prevented, and there is no known cure.
5. Men can get breast cancer too.

You can read more blogs about the upcoming walks in cities around the country over the coming months as well as view videos and posts about past walks at http://www.inittoendit.org/

For more information about participating or the event itself visit avonfoundation.org, armyofwomen.org or The American Cancer Society

No comments:

Post a Comment