Thursday, January 14, 2010

Pain- one of life's challenges

Last week I began my work out routine with a renewed energy that I hadn't had in weeks. Perhaps, it had to do with a good Christmas and New Years and a renewed optimism. Perhaps it had to do with all the new people who had joined my fight and were working out and walking along side me at the gym. This time of year is always remarkable to me because it is crazy busy every where you go- the gym is more crowded with people trying to put forth a good effort on the new years resolution, people are volunteering more, people are taking more classes towards their career or for relaxation... it is inspiring. Hopefully, the trend will continue.

Having recently graduated from working with my trainer, I was looking forward to developing my own routine and determining a new diet that might get me better results. I have been to the doctor and realized that perhaps what I was eating was good for some people who wanted to lose weight, but, not all components were helping me with other problems in my body such as a hormone imbalance. I am still working on this.

Then it happened. I hurt my shoulder working out; more specifically my rotator cup. Like any novice athlete I shrugged it off and thought I could deal with the pain. I had problems before so perhaps I could just return to doing some of the physical therapy exercises I had been taught and ice and heat it occasionally until it felt better. The last two nights, however, it has gotten progressively worse as I sleep. I barely got three hours of rest last night, so I am headed to the clinic to check it out and get some better pain meds. I am praying this is just a hiccup. I don't want anything to deter me from being able to get back in the swing after the new year. It seems that just when you think you have it down, life throws a little (or big) challenge your way. I am determined not to let it get the best of me.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there!! You are so strong!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck - much better to get it checked out, even if you don't like the answer - than to continue to work out and make it worse (or to live with unbearable pain!)

    And I completely hear you on the wrenches being thrown into plans. Completely.

    ReplyDelete