Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Women Achieving Their Dreams

Last night’s speech by President Obama and my work at a company that owns a number of schools throughout the country left me thinking. In his speech, the President encouraged people to good back to school and take classes to improve their job prospects. With all of the challenges we have to be fulltime mothers or career women, for some of us, this must seem an insurmountable task. But, if you want to do something else with your life, I can tell you taking one class is a good place to start. Once you try, you may find even more motivation to keep going.

I remembered years ago when I was unemployed for close to a year, I took some classes in Microsoft Office, Flash and HTML that helped me to move forward. Later, after I found a fulltime position, I was fortunate enough to work for a company that offered to help me pay for my Master’s Degree in Education. I ended up paying for the majority of it and am still paying that off, but, I do not regret the decision to further my education.

It took me more than three years to complete the degree while taking one or two courses at a time. Some nights were very tough sitting down at my computer after a full work day and the weekends were even harder. One thing that always amazed me, however, is that several of my classmates not only had full time jobs, but, children and full lives as well. They seemed to spend as much time on their coursework as I did and I don’t know how they did it all. Obviously, it was very important to them and they had some good support.

Once I finished my program, I felt very gratified at what I had accomplished. I truly believe it helped me obtain the job that I currently have and I use what I have learned nearly every day. I recently became aware of a new web site that my company started called womenachieve.org . It is aimed at encouraging women to go back to school or to pursue an education. There are a number of good resources on the site including information to help you find the best career fit, the right school and more. There are also some encouraging blogs written by inspiring career women and moms who are overcoming obstacles and working to achieve their dreams.

If you are at all considering pursuing a new degree or finishing one, this web site is a good place to start. Once you have achieved this valuable dream, you will know it was worth all of the effort and no one can take it away from you!

1 comment:

  1. A line in a favorite poem I love...

    Keep interested in your own career for however humble it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

    I Hope your having a great evening.

    ReplyDelete